What Giving Up Social Media Has Taught Me
Although I’m not an extremely religious person, I decided to give up social media for Lent. I said goodbye to Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Snapchat — the whole nine yards. Brutal, right?
My reasoning was three-fold:
1. Verizon no longer offers unlimited data, and I was constantly going over my phone plan’s allotted amount.
2. I was addicted.
3. Frank was giving it up. And whatever Frank does, I do.
1. I miss Instagram the most. As readers of my blog, y’all know how much I love taking pictures. If I didn’t have this blog to share my photos on, I would likely combust.
2. Surprisingly, I don’t miss Twitter that much. I realized this while I was watching the Oscars and had zero desire to A) tweet or B) see what witty and sarcastic things other people were tweeting. Refreshing! I won’t lie, though. There have been a few times that I’ve been tempted to tweet. Like today, when I tripped over a dead bird on the sidewalk. Or yesterday, when I spilled an entire cup of coffee in my Chanel purse. You know, precious little moments that I wish I could share with all of you.
3. I do miss Twitter as a news source. I’ve been making a point to skim through the news each morning — which has been nice! — but there’s something wonderful about the ease and efficiency of getting all caught up by simply scrolling through a few tweets.
4. Facebook is pretty much irrelevant, except when it comes to event planning. My BFF and I are coordinating a little birthday party for ourselves next weekend, and sending out invites via Facebook really is the easiest way to do it.
5. I don’t know if I’ll ever re-install Snapchat. If I want to send someone an unflattering picture of myself, I will. I have no shame. Clearly.
(But seriously, if you see me “liking” sh!t on Facebook, please slap me.)
What would you miss most if you gave up social media? Are you as addicted as I am?
- The Born This Way Ball in STL [Part 1]
- Jet Setting, Once Again
- TTT: Sing at an Open Mic Night
- Fridays with Frankie D
- A Bunch of Random Feeeeels